Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Prompting Practice!

:idea:

So, :iconsilverwing013: has been doing this great thing—namely, asking for words, one-liners, scenarios, or just general ideas to use as story prompts. I bring this up because I just got my syllabus for my next fiction workshop class, and we're devoting a week to prompt-work. I've never really done that before, so practice would be super nice. Think y'all could help me out? Please? :please: 

I'm looking for mini-scenarios, lines of dialogue, objects to work into a story, themes, images, a tiny detail, characters… just anything around which I can build a story. Some of what I produce might be flash fiction (500 words), or it might turn into something bigger. Who knows! My imagination is my oyster! 

I promise to share my work! :blushes: If, you know, you'd like to see it and suchlike, of course…

…Ipromisetoupdatemystoriessoon…

(*crawls under a rock*)

:glomp: Y'all're so great. THANK YOU! 

1 comment:

  1. So whenever I stumble the internet via the writing section and find writing prompts I save them for practice when I'm not procrastinating some essay. Here are a few of my favorites that I think you might be interested in...

    A) Chekhovs Gun VS a Red Herring

    B) Why did you choose this particular protagonist? (What’s so special that it HAD to be this person for this story?)

    C) What qualities of the protagonists help or hinder him/her to overcome these obstacles (Your protagonist must operate at the best of their abilities, or the reader will call them idiot and bail. Are the obstacles truly hard enough to show your character’s best?)

    D)Write the first 250 words of a short story, but write them in ONE SENTENCE. Make sure that the sentence is grammatically correct and punctuated correctly. This exercise is intended to increase your powers in sentence writing.

    ALSO: If you have any good ones I'd LOVE to take a crack at them :]

    ReplyDelete